“Then Miriam the prophetess, Aaron’s sister, took a tambourine (also called “Tof Miriam” or “Frame Drum”) in her hand, and all the women followed her, with tambourines and dancing” – Exodus 15:20
מִי שֶׁבֵּרַךְ אַבוֹתֵינוּ מְקוֹר הַבְּרָכָה לְאִמוֹתֵינו
Tof Miriam Shabbaton Programs
Drumming connects us back to to our heritage and is an exciting new trend happening in synagogues worldwide. Miriam, Moses’s sister, was a beloved Prophetess who lived during Biblical times. Miriam was deeply connected to the concept of redemption, and prophesied that the Israelites were going to be freed; Miriam lead everyone in song and celebration, playing her “Tof Miriam” drum during the pivotal moment of the splitting of the Red Sea!
With what is currently going on in the world, there is no better time to deepen the connection to our heritage. Let us rejoice in hope and renewal through Miriam’s drum, dancing and singing!
Marla is one of the very few Jewish “Tof Miriam” specialists (coincidentally, who’s name at birth was Miriam). She is delighted to offer these educational, fun and celebratory Shabbaton programs enriched deeply in Jewish tradition, culture and music;
Marla with Cantor Shapiro @ University Synagogue
Book a Shabbaton to your synagogue;
Guaranteed to UPLIFT & ENLIVEN your congregation!
Currently booking for 2015/2016. Please email Marla to for more information.
“Marla doesn’t just teach drumming—she teaches workshop participants how the drum is part of our history, heritage and how we can incorporate rhythm into our lives. I highly recommend her programs”
-Cantor Evan Kent, Temple Isaiah, Los Angeles, CA
Press & Video
Marla’s Shabbaton Program Video –
(Recorded @ Central Synagogue of Nassau County, April 2014)
Herald Times Article – Shabbaton @ Central Synagogue
Marla with Cantor Rachel Rachel Kohlbrenner
MUSICAL ACCOMPANIMENT ~ FRIDAY SHABBAT SERVICE:
Accompaniment at Services, may include the following :
- Percussion, flute and/or guitar accompaniment to the cantor’s and congregational songs.
- Traditional Jewish and contemporary melodies on the flute.
- A Tof Miriam drum solo, a mesmerizing meditation.
- Shabbat songs lead by Marla with rhythms of the Tof Miriam as accompaniment.
- A short talk, or d’var Torah on our ancient heritage of drumming, tying in the weekend’s Biblical themes.
SATURDAY EVENING PERFORMANCE :
Ecstatic Rhythms & Songs of the Tof Miriam
- Enjoy an evening of original Jewish inspired Middle Eastern Music, weaved with Kabbalistic Gematria meditations.
- A fusion of the Tof Miriam and other worldly percussion with flute and Hebrew prayers.
- Can be a solo performance (where Marla uses a looping pedal to create a full band effect) or with her ensemble
- Fun for the whole family. This is an audience participatory concert, where will learn about Miriam and do some call and response drumming during the concert (no instruments needed for this)
SUNDAY: JEWISH DRUMMING – ADULT WORKSHOP:
TEFILAT TOF MIRIAM: PRAYER & JEWISH DRUMMING
In this workshop, participants will learn how to play the Tof Miriam drum!
Workshop includes: learning basic playing techniques for the Tof Miriam, how to play commonly used rhythms in contemporary Jewish music, singing Hebrew prayers while drumming, how to play in sold time, improvising and much more!
Participants will also sing and play percussion instruments along with nigguns, Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jewish melodies.
No prior musical experience necessary. Women-only workshops also available.
- Open to all levels (Beginners encouraged)
- All participants receive a frame drum to take home.
- Tof Miriam Drums are provided for the workshops, and available for the participants to take home. Marla can get as many drums as needed.
- Marla can also arrange to get take home egg shakers with your Synagogue’s logo on it for all participant – an affordable remembrance of this special event!
TEFILAT TOF MIRIAM :
PRAYER & JEWISH DRUMMING
This is the perfect workshop to help inspire music into your child’s life.
Workshop includes: learning the basic playing strokes for the Tof Miriam, how to keep a steady beat and play in time, body percussion, signing Hebrew prayers while drumming, dancing while drumming, improvising and much more! Participants will also sing and play percussion instruments along with nigguns, Sephardic, and Ashkenazi Jewish melodies. No prior musical experience necessary.
Children can also make their own instruments (egg shakers), decorate it, and take them home – or Marla can arrange to have “prayer shakers” made with your synagogues logo on it – a great way to continue to inspire music in a childs life!
- Open to all levels (Beginners encouraged)
- All participants receive a frame drum to take home ::))
- Tof Miriam Drums are provided for the workshops, and available for the participants to take home. Marla can provide as many drums as needed.
“I had the pleasure of inviting Marla Leigh to Central Synagogue of Nassau County for a Tof Miriam Shabbaton. The entire weekend was an incredible joy and spiritual experience. She added much wonder to our Shabbat service, the concert Saturday evening was a rousing success and the drumming workshops were a huge success!
She is both a superb performer and an excellent instructor. I can’t say enough about Marla’s professionalism and dedication to her craft. I wound highly recommend her! Marla is an absolute joy to work with and will bring much excitement to your congregation”
-Carol Meyerson, Central Synagogue of Nassau County, NY
Marla with Cantor David Berger from Tikvat Jacob Congregation, Oseh Shalom!
Performance with Josh Nelson, Los Angeles, CA