Marla Leigh is amazing. she is talented flute player, percussionist, and composer. over the years i have been blessed to share alot of music with her and have her share with our students. she is also a wonderful teacher and has inspired many groups. i wish great success in sharing her music with the world. AUM …
~ saul david raye, internationally acclaimed yoga teacher
The Art of Drumming, Rhythm and Ritual
For the Modern Day Yogi!
*A Sacred Rhythmic Journey Through Nada Yoga *
How can we experience Nada Yoga through drumming?
Drumming is one of the oldest practices for transforming consciousness; Playing drums balances both hemispheres of the brain, creating a sense of deep inner peace, relaxation, focus and balance Nada Yoga is the universal pulse of life, manifests within us as the sound of our own heart that has been represented by the sound of the drum. Through rhythmic repetition of ritual sounds, the body, brain and the nervous system are energized and transformed
DURING THIS RHYTHMIC JOURNEY, WE WILL EXPLORE:
FRAME DRUM PLAYING TECHNIQUES:
- Learn how to play one of the worlds most sacred mythological drums, the Frame Drum
The Frame drum is one of the worlds most ancient drums that was traditionally played by High Priestesses and Shamans in cultures worldwide
- Learn how to drum confidently and in solid time.
- Learn traditional Middle Eastern drum strokes that can be applied to any type of hand drum.
DRUMMING 101 – THE BASICS:
- Learn how to improvise, create your own rhythms.
- Learn about drumming styles and rhythms from around the world.
- Discover what it means to actively listen.
CHANTING & DRUMMING:
- Learn how to chant and drum with your favorite chants!
- Learn commonly used rhythms in Kirtan music
- Learn exercises and techniques to discover your singing voice, to make it strong and beautiful!
TRANCE HEALING RHYTHMS
- Learn how to play traditional trance healing rhythms from around the world!
INTRODUCTION TO INDIAN MUSIC & RHYTHMS:
- Learn about the profoundly incredibly structures found in Traditional North and South musics
- Learn Solkattu, South Indian vocal exercises that help strengthen your sense of rhythm
- Listen to master Indian drummers.
- Learn how to keep “tala” or time in Indian music.
TRANCE DRUMMING RITUAL:
- Explore a Shamanic inspired “trance drumming” meditation ritual which combines numerology and intention setting – where we play for a set length of time – drumming, chanting and meditating on our intentions.
SOUND THERAPY, NADA YOGA, CHAKRA SYSTEM:
- Learn how to use music as a part of your daily healing practice.
- Learn hands on partner sound healing techniques.
- Discover the musical notes and chanting mantras of the Chakra system.
- Workshop is open to all levels, beginners encouraged.
- Workshop length may range from three hours to two day weekend intensives.
- Frame Drums are provided, and your drums are welcome too.
- Can be a single workshop, or a two day workshop throughout a weekend.
BRING SACRED DRUMMING TO YOUR STUDIO!
Having a Yoga Teacher Training?
This is also a great workshop to include in a YOGA TEACHER TRAINING, where Marla can students how to incorporate drumming in their chanting practice, introduce them to music from India, and show them how to properly engage their voice while chanting.
Take a Listen
MARLA’ S ORIGINAL MUSIC WITH SOME OF TODAY’S LEADING YOGA TEACHERS:
- Download Marla’s performance with Jim Beckwith for Saul David Raye’s Atma Yoga Class
- Marla’s music was featured on Hala Khour’s “Yoga for Stress Relief” DVD
- Marla’s music was featured in Janet Stone’s Yoga Iphone Application
- Marla’s music was featured on the front page of Cristi Christensen’s website
Past Clientele & Testimonials
Marla has provided live music for the following yoga teachers:
- Saul David Raye
- Shiva Rae
- Hala Khouri
- Michellene Berry
- Janet Stone
- Chandra Easton
- Ashley Turner
- Sara Ivenhoe
- Annmarie Solo
- Kia Miller
- Cristi Cristinson
- Kyra Anastasia
- Aarona Pitchenson
Marla has presented her Medicine Drum Workshops and/or Concerts at:
- Yoga Yoga, Newhall, CA
- Exhale For Sacred Movement, Venice, CA
- Yoga Tree, San Fransisco
- One Yoga, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- One World Yoga, San Diego, CA
- Sage Center, Woodstock, NY
- Esalen Institute, Big Sur, CA
- Kripalu Center, Mass
- Bhakti Festival, Joshua Tree, CA
Marla has taught music workshops at the following Yoga Teacher Trainings:
- Saul David Raye’s Teacher Training
- Janet Stone’s Teacher Training
“Marla is an incredible teacher who will have your hand rhythmically flying over the drum in no time. WE all have unique rhythm, let Marla help you find it, and direct you to the pulse the universal rhythms passed down through time. Her music is also very very beautiful, I had her play on my latest DVD.”
KIA MILLER, Yoga Teacher