MARLA LEIGH GOLDSTEIN
Percussionist. Educator. Composer
Marla@marlaleigh.com | www.marlaleigh.com | 661.645.0724
- Online Frame Drum Academy
Online learning school with Marla
Launched June 2015
- Part Time Drum Teacher /Music Specialists for k-12
Temple Isaiah & Valley Beth Shalom
Los Angeles, CA 2014- Current
- Rhythm & Rejuvenation Retreats, Sheffield, MA
Drumming retreat facilitated by Marla
October & June 2015
- Inner Rhythms Drum Studio
Private music lessons for kids and adults ( teach hand percussion, music theory, flute)
- Drumming in the Feminine Course
February – March 2015
Presented by UCLA Arts and Healing
- REMO RMC – Workshops
- Asheville Percussion Festival, Asheville, North Carolina –
Frame Drum clinic & Performance, June 2014
- Zurich School, Zurich Switzerland
Residency Frame Drum Program & Concert, September 2013
- Graz School of Music, Graz, Austria
Frame Drum Clinic – August 2013
- Tambouri Mundi International Festival, Freiburg, Germany
Frame Drum Clinics & Performance, August, 2011, 2013
- PAS Day of Percussion – Hollywood, CA
Frame Drum Clinic – 2008
- North American Frame Drum Association Conventions (NAFDA) –
Frame Drum Clinic & Performances
Vermont, New Jersey and Los Angeles, CA (2008 -2010)
- California Institute of the Arts –
Hand Percussion substitute teacher, (subbing for John Bergamo), 1998-2002
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Percussion, California Institute of the Arts, 2000.
Concentration: World Percussion, Composition, Flute.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA), Music. California Institute of the Arts, 1997
Concentration: World Percussion, Composition, Flute.
- Yoga Teacher Training with Saul David Raye,
- Summer Studies at Ali Akbar College of Music, San Rafael, C.A. July 2002, 2003.
Concentration: North Indian Tabla
- Bhavan Center of Indian Music, London, England. July 2000.
Concentration: South Indian Percussion.
- Simon Frasier University Summer Percussion Program, June 1996.
Concentration: Frame Drumming Intensive with Glen Velez.
- Principal Teachers: Glen Velez, John Bergamo, Alfred Ladzekpo, Kobla Ladzekpo, Randy Gloss,
SELECTED PERFORMANCE EXPERIENCE
*Performed as a soloist or with my own ensemble at: The Skirball Center, Tambouri Mundi Festival, NAFDA Festival, Luzerne Music Festival, Knitting Factory, Irish Summer Festival, Bali Arts Festival
SELECTED ARTIST COLLABORATIONS
Swapan Chaudhouri, 4 Time Grammy Percussionist, Glen Velez, Hamsa Lilah, Hands Onsemble, Donna DeLory, David Stringer, Karnamrita Dasi,
* Steve McNerra’s CD, “Shakti Fire” by White Swan Records
(Nominated for a Grammy – 2015)
- Commissioned composition, “Spicy Nectar” for Hala Khouri’s “Yoga for Stress Release” DVD (2011)_
- Commissioned piece, “Raw Honey” for the film “Bold Native” (2010)
- Created own Signature Series Frame Drum with the Cooperman Drum
- Commissioned composition for the Brooklyn Middle School Percussion Ensemble (2008).
- Commissioned composition for the University of Kentucky Percussion Ensemble (2007).
- Created an instructional DVD for hand drumming, “Time Zone” (2006).
- Composed the score for the short animation piece, “The Cellist” (2005).
- Runner up for Fulbright Scholarship to study drumming in Israel, April 2001
- Hostelling International Travel Grant to study South Indian drumming at the Bhavan Center in London, England (July 2000)
- Esalen Institute, with Chandra Easton, Big Sur, CA, May 2010 & 2011
- Harbin Hot Springs, Middletown, CA, June 2008 & 2009
- Haramara Retreat Center, Sayulita, Mexico. August, 2008
- Kalani Retreat Center, Big Island, Hawaii. April 2003 and April 2005
TEAM BUILDING & DRUM CIRCLE FACILITATION:
- – International Braveheart Convention ~ (Drum circle for 1000 Women!)
- – CSUN- Community Building Drum Circle, Northridge, CA
- – Company Team – Building Drum Circle for Fashion Glue, Beverly Hills, CA
- – Company Team – Building drum circle for George’s Toy Company, New York, NY
EDUCATIONAL DRUMMING WORKSHOPS:
- – The Hub, Graz, Austria (2012)
- – Its Music Time, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2012)
- – Art Institute, Zurich, Switzerland (2012)
- – Healing Arts Center, Ontario, Canada (2012)
- – In the Mudra Yoga Studio, Canoga Park, CA (2010).
- – Inner Power Yoga Studio, Calabasas, CA (2010).
- – Exhale Center for Sacred Movement, Venice, CA (2010).
- – Bhakti Festival, Joshua Tree, CA (2009)
- – Kripalu, Lennox MA, (part of Saul David Raye’s yoga retreat, 2009).
- – Yoga World, Long Beach, CA (2009).
- – Lightening in the Bottle Festival, Santa Barbara, (2009).
- – Esalen, Big Sur, CA (part of Hala Khouri’s yoga retreat, 2008; as part of Saul David Raye’s Yoga Retreat, 2009).
- – Feather Pipe Ranch (part of Saul David Raye’s yoga retreat, 2008).
- – Topanga Earth Day Festival, Topanga, CA (2007-2010).
- – Middle Eastern Music Camp, Mendocino, CA (2008).
- – Ruach Ranch, Topanga CA (2007).
- – Center for Spiritual Studies, Topanga CA (2003).
- – Infinite Yoga Studio, San Diego, CA (2003).
- – Yoga Yoga Studio, Valencia CA (2002).
- – Music Teacher, International School of the Hague, The Netherlands (June 1997).
- – Music Teacher, Village Camps School, Sabres, France (June 1998).
- – Runner up for Fulbright Scholarship to study drumming in Israel, April 2001
- – Hosteling International Travel Grant to study South Indian drumming at the Bhavan Center in London, England (July 2000).