Women’s Healing Drum Summer Sessions –
Come experience the healing medicine of this ancient & mystical instrument.
Become a proficient frame drummer within weeks.
Discover your inner drum meastra/o through the mystical, ancient drum, the frame drum.
With over twenty years of study and practice of frame drumming, Marla is delighted to share this comprehensive training program with you. Marla received a MFA in Percussion from Calarts, where she studied under the great percussion genius, John Bergamo – She has also studied with wonderful percussionists: Glen Velez, Randy Gloss, Alfred Ladzekpo, Kobla Ladzekpo, Pandit Swapan Chadhouri, Poovalar Srinaasan, Trichy Sankaraan and Layne Redmond.
What is a Frame Drum?
In ancient times, in the Mediterranean world, Shamans and high priestesses played the frame drum for rituals, rites of passages and to help induce altered states of consciousness. In today’s society, the frame drum has many applications; It is a great accompaniment for chanting, bellydancing, drum circles ~ sound healing & shamanic drumming – and it is commonly used in folk, world & rock music (yes, Paul Simon and Stings percussionists use the frame drum in their music)
WHY A WOMEN ONLY GATHERING?
The Frame Drum was traditionally a WOMEN’S Instrument, yes, it was played by WOMEN in ancient cultures worldwide
Ladies, you all know that there is something oober magical that happens when women gather!
Connecting to the incredible, powerful, magical, rich ancient lineage of WOMEN DRUMMERS, we will create a safe, sacred, ceremony space, where magic can happen. ..and DRUM IT OUT!
- Learn how to play the frame drum
- Explore practices to use frame drum for healing and self -care
- Learn to play Trance Healing Rhythms from around the world
- Learn Music 101 Basics – How to play in steady time, metronome practice and much more
- Learn how to compose and create your own music –
- Series ends with everyone composing and sharing their own healing song.
- Voice technique
- Learn how to drum and chant
- Learn sound healing techniques; how to use the frame drum for healing & self care
- Healing sessions offered for participants,
DRUMS PROVIDED & AVAILABLE FOR SALE
ALL LEVELS WELCOME
WE LOVE BEGINNERS!
Sunday Evenings – 5:00-7:15pm
June 26, July 3, July 10 & July 24
- Single Session $40 (can only do this for the first class)
- 4 -Class Series – Only $149 Early Bird (valid until June 15) / $175 Thereafter
BRING A FRIEND DISCOUNT:
Bring a Friend, each get $5 discount
(to get this discount, please play in full, and discount will be given at first class)
(There is no discount or make up classes offered if you have to miss a class – BUT you can ask someone to record the class for you!!!!)
Topanga State Park
20828 Entrada Road, Topanga CA
(directions and exact location in park will be given upon registration)
Early Bird Registration (until 6/15)
Regular Registration (after 6/15)